How the Child is Viewed

It is important to see how a child is viewed in today's society. I experienced the traditional classroom growing up and felt I was uninterested, always rushed, not incorporated in learning lessons, no voice, and had no exploration. It always seemed there was one answer that you had to find out and the teachers always knew that one answer. Teachers and children didn't co-construct, it was the teacher teaching and the children learning. Let me remind you, the children were all learning the same thing and had to be at the same pace. If you didn't understand a subject that report came home and would say your "progressing with difficulty." I still remember having a talk with my parents asking why I am progressing with difficulty. I was compared to other students and again didn't enjoy learning. Being introduced to this "Forest School" learning brings such joy to my life and I hope to others. I can't get on Pinterest when I search for Forest Schools because all I see happiness. I look at the children's faces and all these amazing fun activities and I catch myself laughing and smiling. It makes me feel people really do want to help others and some children really are seen as citizens, not a blank slate. My Grade 3 teacher told my parents I need to be in a different class for reading ... This surprised my parents because at home I was a good reader. I know exactly why my teacher felt this way, because I didn't have the confidence to do this task, I was being compared by others, and just always felt I wasn't smart enough. Let me remind you, I was only 7 since my birthday is in December.  I wasn't able to speak then but here I am trying to speak now! I know I want to educate children in a Forest School and help learning become fun, enjoyable, and powerful. 

Forest Schools view their child in these following ways;


  • Unique, valuable, and equal
  • The child is capable to explore and discover their own experiences with risks and challenges appropriately. 
  • Able to choose and initiate their learning
  • Entitled to develop relationships that are positive, with others as well as themselves
  • Develop a positive and strong relationship with nature
  • Experience regular success



This picture I found on Pinterest shows a boy and girl doing a task that most children don't get access too. 




QUOTES FROM CHILDREN and EDUCATORS

"Forest School is a feeling you can't put into words"

"I don't have ADHD when I'm out in the woods"

"There is no bad weather, just bad clothes"

















These quotes really stood out to me because they are bold statements that help show the power of nature. Now I will move on to the learning of Forest Schools and how subjects can be seen in different domains and areas outdoors. 









No comments:

Post a Comment