What is a Forest School?

Hello, my name is Natasha Nitsopoulos. I am a BCD student at Seneca College and have a goal to make a difference in children's lives. I was assigned to design and curate an environmental learning E-portfolio. After several days of researching I used blogs, Twitter, and Pinterest. I admit, I was never a fan of social media but after being assigned this assignment, I can't thank my teacher enough for introducing me to this new learning. Not only has it given me current information but takes me to places that are endless. It provides pictures and images that really catch my attention and I find hours have gone by. I started researching outdoor classroom but slowly learning about Forest Schools. This began to take my attention and I have never been so motivated to learn more. What is a Forest School? What are some benefits? Fun Facts? Activities and much more. Read on and enjoy.... For more information please follow my Twitter and Pinterest account!!!
Twitter: @natashanits
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/natashanitsopou/forest-schools/





http://www.pinterest.com/pin/569212840377631797/

What is a Forest School?

A process that is inspirational, invited all learners to achieve and develop self-esteem and confidence. It provides endless opportunities through hands on learning experiences in natural or woodland environments with trees (Forest School Association). This was found on Twitter and led me to the Forest School Association. This website gives knowledge and helps determine if this is something you want to participate in.

http://www.forestschoolassociation.org/what-is-forest-school/

Forest School Canada is another helpful guide that I found while exploring Twitter and explains Forest Schools as an educational process. It explains that it has existed since 1950s expanding the world starting in Denmark and Sweden, to Scandinavia to Europe, China, New Zealand, Australia, the United States and now CANADA. In Canada the two names are Forest Schools and Nature Schools. Children spend anywhere from a half day to a full day in the outdoors. The schools can take place in different contexts, environments, climates and ages.
http://www.forestschoolcanada.ca/wp-content/themes/wlf/images/FSC-Guide_web.pdf


This was found on Pinterest and shows key features. 
I loved how the pictures were leaves because Forest Schools incorporate leaves in many activities.


Next, is a video that was called Forest Year. This video really inspired me and showed all the seasons in the same area. I never thought about how much an area can change through nature. I didn't know where to look and put a forest in a different perspective.



Now that you have an idea about what a forest school is, I am sure your thinking of ways it benefits children. Let's move on to the next post and find out! 


No comments:

Post a Comment